Calcutta Jesuits’ Response to COVID-19 Pandemic
THE COVID-19 SCENARIO IN CALCUTTA
The Corona Virus outbreak has resulted in expanding containment zones and lockdown enforcement with the poor, the marginalised and the vulnerable most devastated by the lockdown situation. In response to this situation, the Calcutta Jesuits have been reaching out to them in all ways possible.
The Collegiate School staff, members and alumnus have joined together in this emergency to help the poor, migrants, homeless, underprivileged, daily wagers & people affected COVID- 19.
Through the various Chapter Coordinates of St. Xavier’s College Calcutta Alumni Association (SXCCAA), relief work has been extended to cities in 5 states namely Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Bengaluru and Guwahati. They have been working tirelessly on a grand philanthropic noble mission which includes food & medical support for homeless, needy and underprivileged people.
The Calcutta Jesuits have been carrying out relief work in 12 districts of West Bengal and 5 states across the country through Collaborators.
Key Activity &Updates
- 7500 Food Packets distributed per day
- 3000 Dry Ration kits are distributed per day
- 2000 meals per daydistributed by SXCCAA Delhi chapter.
- 500 meals per daydistributed by SXCCAA Bengaluru chapter.
MASKS & SANITISER DISTRIBUTION
- 2,10,000 masks have been distributed by SXC and SXCCAA jointly in 12 district of Kolkata (1, 70,000 purchased and 30,000 handmade)
- 1000 sanitizers 2000 have been distributed in 12 district of the relief operations. 2000
- In Pune, the Xaverians joined hands with the local Rotary Club & donated 2000 Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) kits worth Rs. 13.50 lakhs to Sasoon Hospital.
- Over 500 Thermometers & Thermal Guns have been provided for Thermal Screening
Awareness Programmes/Information & Updates
- Government guidelines & verified information are shared through mass social & digital media campaigns by the members of all the Chapters of SXCCAA.
- Regular Popup information and notifications are provided at the web portal of St. Xavier’s College for faculty, non faculty, students & Alumni members
HUMAN RESOURCE ENGAGED
- 700 members of St. Xavier’s College and SXCCAA are involved in the entire relief operations – fighting against COVID 19
VEHICLES DEDICATED FOR RELIEF WORK
- 26 vehicles have been dedicatedly providing relief services to the victims
- St. Xavier Collegiate School (SXCS) donated an amount of Rs. 20 lakhs to CM relief fund.
- St. Xavier College, Kolkata donated Rs. 38 lakhs to PM CARES & an additional amounts of Rs. 85 lakhs to respective Chief Minister’s Disaster Relief Funds.
- Faculty of SXCS will donate one day salary towards the CM Relief Fund.
- Old boys Association of St. Xavier’s Collegiate School, Kolkata is gearing up with provision kits, sanitizers, masks and soaps for 600 poor families.
- Sponsor a Child towards the education of those students whose parents cannot pay school fees will also be organized by Old boys Association
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata will be collecting donations & contributions centrally from the web portal of SXCCAA which will be finally aggregated & utilized for various kinds of philanthropy activities in this emergency.